04Head1.jpg (5229 bytes)04Head2.jpg (3648 bytes)04Head3.jpg (4657 bytes)

Home | Services | Moscow | Requests | Links

 

 "The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts"


The idea of establishing a Museum of foreign art in Moscow emerged way back at the beginning of the 19th century. The funds for the construction of such a museum were raised by public subscription. The Museum took form 1898 to 1912 to build

The  Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts

At first the Museum had on display plaster copies of ancient, medieval and Renaissance sculptures, and only a few originals: nine paintings by various artists, a set of Egyptian antiques, Greek vases, Italian paintings of the 14th-16th centuries, bronze articles from France of the 18th and the early 19th centuries. 

After the October 1917 Revolution, priceless treasures of Western European culture from the former Rumyantsev Museum, the Hermitage and the Tretyakov Gallery and from nationalized private collections were handed over to the Museum. 

Today the Museum has about 3,000 paintings (among them works of Rembrandt, Perugino, Degas), 250,000 drawings and engravings, 100,000 coins and medals, and a large number of works of applied art.

The Museum has been participating in numerous international art exchanges. There have been exhibitions of the Tutankhamen treasures, Mexican art and masterpieces from Metropolitan Museum of Art held at the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts. Mona Lisa and the Sistine Madonna have been displayed here.  


available a tour of the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts /duration: 3 hours/ 

 e-mail your request 


back